Someone who is not accustomed to the graduation accessory world may have a hard time understanding exactly what each piece of accessory is. Whether this be graduation caps, honors stoles, or even gowns, each piece has its own unique use and history. One of the most common pieces of accessory is the honor cord. So, exactly what is an honor cord? An honor cord is a symbol of academic achievement and recognition. Typically worn during graduation ceremonies, it's a cord with a distinct color or colors that signifies a graduate's exceptional performance or participation in honor societies, clubs, or academic programs. Our experienced purveyor of graduation accessories explores more in the following article. Continue reading below to learn more.
What GPA Do You Need for Honor Cords?
The GPA requirement for earning honor cords can vary depending on the institution and the specific honor cord in question. However, there are general guidelines that could be expected when it comes to honor cords and what it takes to have one during graduation. Below you can find a brief description of what you could expect depending on the honor that you receive during your academic journey.
- Cum Laude: Graduates earning Cum Laude honors typically need a GPA in the range of 3.5 to 3.7 on a 4.0 scale.
- Magna Cum Laude: Achieving Magna Cum Laude status often requires a higher GPA, typically ranging from 3.8 to 3.9 or above.
- Summa Cum Laude: The highest honors, Summa Cum Laude, typically necessitate a GPA of 4.0, indicating a perfect academic record.
- Honor Societies and Clubs: For honor cords related to specific academic societies or clubs, the GPA requirements may vary. These requirements are set by the respective organizations, and they often consider not only GPA but also other criteria such as coursework and involvement.
What Does Each Honor Cord Mean?
There are many other kinds of honor cords that carry distinct significance. There are some other kinds of honor cords that you may have not heard of before. These include the honors society cords, leadership cord, service cord, multilingual proficiency cords, and even the research cord. A brief description of each is included below:
- Honors Society Cord- Wearing an honors society cord signifies membership in a prestigious academic organization. These societies honor students who have excelled in specific fields of study, demonstrating their commitment to excellence within a particular discipline.
- Leadership Cord- A leadership cord is awarded to students who have exhibited remarkable leadership qualities, often through participation in student organizations, clubs, or community service. It signifies their ability to inspire and guide others.
- Service Cord- This cord acknowledges students who have devoted their time and efforts to service and volunteer work.
- Multilingual Cord- Some students earn cords for proficiency in multiple languages or for demonstrating fluency in languages other than their native tongue.
- Research Cord- Graduates involved in research projects or academic research endeavors may wear a research cord.
How Many Honor Cords Can You Wear?
The number of honor cords a graduate can wear during a graduation ceremony is typically determined by the policies and guidelines set by their educational institution. However, most schools allow graduates to wear multiple honor cords, representing different aspects of their academic journey and accomplishments.
More About Tassel Depot
What is an honor cord? We hope that we have answered your questions in this article. Tassel Depot is a purveyor of graduation accessories that is here to make sure that you have the best graduation accessories on the market. Schedule an appointment with us today to learn more about all our offerings, including graduation hats, custom bookmarks, and even caps and gowns for sale.