For Promotional Products / SWAG Click Here!!
What Happens When International Students Graduate?

What Happens When International Students Graduate? 

As manufacturers of fine academic regalia accessories, we understand the significance of milestones in education. One such momentous occasion is when international students graduate, marking the culmination of their academic journey. Beyond the cap and gown, the tassel holds a unique symbolism in this transition, signifying the diverse paths that graduates embark upon. So, what happens when international students graduate? Continue reading below to learn more from our graduation accessories manufacturer. 

Can You Get a Permanent Visa in the USA After Graduation? 

For many international students who choose to pursue their education in the United States, the question of post-graduation immigration often looms large. The transition from student status to a more permanent residency is a complex journey, influenced by various factors such as academic background, employment prospects, and individual circumstances. Our graduation tassel manufacturer is proud to say that there are definitely some avenues for students to get their visas after graduation.

How Can International Students Get Permanent Residency in the United States?

  • Upon graduation, many international students take advantage of the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program. This allows them to gain valuable work experience in their field of study for up to 12 months (or up to 36 months for STEM graduates) after completing their degree. OPT serves as a bridge, providing graduates with an opportunity to apply their academic knowledge in a professional setting while exploring potential long-term options. 
  •  The H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. Many international graduates transition from OPT to H-1B status, provided they secure employment with a sponsoring employer. The H-1B visa can be a stepping stone towards more permanent residency options in the future. 
  •  For those seeking a more permanent solution, employment-based green cards are an option. Employment-based immigrant visas are divided into preference categories, with the EB-2 and EB-3 categories being common routes for skilled professionals. The process involves labor certification and employer sponsorship, and the availability of visas in these categories can vary. 
  •  International graduates may also explore family-sponsored immigration options if they have close relatives who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Family-sponsored visas, such as the immediate relative and family preference categories, allow eligible family members to sponsor the immigration of their relatives. 
  •  The Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery, also known as the Green Card Lottery, is another avenue for obtaining permanent residency. Each year, a limited number of diversity visas are made available to individuals from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States. The lottery is a randomized selection process, providing an opportunity for individuals from diverse backgrounds to secure a green card.

Can International Students Stay in the U.S. After Graduation?

Yes, international students will have a grace period where they will be able to stay in the country. However, our experts would like to point out that immigration policies and regulations are subject to change, and individual cases may vary. Seeking guidance from immigration professionals and staying informed about updates from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is crucial for international graduates navigating the path to permanent residency in the United States.

More About Tassel Depot 

What happens when international students graduate? We hope that we answered your question. Tassel Depot is a business that is here to make sure that our customers receive the best products for their graduation. Contact us today to learn more about our graduation stoles, personalized tassels, and graduation tassels.